Although it is very important to go to the ophthalmologist for regular check-ups, it is possible to detect macular problems with the *AMSLER GRID test on your own.
This grid was developed by the Swiss ophthalmologist Marc Amsler in 1945 as an aid to detect visual abnormalities caused by alterations in the retina, such as macular degeneration. It can also detect conditions in the optic nerve and visual routes from the eye to the brain.
Instructions on how to perform the test:
1. Print and Tape the AMSLER GRID on your computer screen, placing it at eye level
2. Position yourself at a distance between 12”-15” away from the screen.
3. If you wear prescription glasses, you should wear them to perform the test or the results could be altered.
4. The test is performed SEPARATELY FOR EACH EYE.
5. Cover one eye with your hand and look at the screen, without squinting, focus your gaze on the center black dot, and then repeat with the other eye.
6. Keeping your gaze fixed, try to see if any lines are distorted or missing. You should see all the lines of the grid correctly.
If you see any distortion or missing lines on the chart or if you have any doubt about any abnormalities in your vision, it is recommended that you have a complete ophthalmologic examination with your eye specialist as soon as possible.
Eye pathologies that can be detected through this test include:
• Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
• Deposits present in the macular area
• Histoplasmosis syndrome (an eye disease that is a leading cause of vision loss)
• Macular degeneration due to myopia magna
• Central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC or CSCR, an eye disease that causes visual impairment)
It has been demonstrated that light emitted from device screens damage the cells of the retina. By using Reticare eye protectors on your screens, it is possible to reduce these effects on the retina. Place Reticare on all the screens you use to get adequate protection.
Share this information with the people around you and, especially share it with those who remain oblivious to these very serious risks from using screens.
Reticare®, protects you from damaging effects of blue light from device screens
The only scientifically proven eye protector